Sunday, 15 July 2007

BREAKID VELA Team Analysis

Apologies for the late analysis of our team VELA, as I was busy for the past week. It is very much a good lesson for everyone who is going to read this entry as I am using a real-life example to illustrate a soft skill that is going to be important in time to come for everyone.

The first time I met up with the team, I had a strong gut feeling that the team lacks a strong leader but still, I decided to have a go at trying to have a freshies-led team than an OGL-led team. It all started with learning of cheers, playing of games on the 1st day and thereafter the cluedo day games and there was still no prominient leaders amongst the pack. There was no one to strongly dictate and lead the team which causes the team to be very scathered and that was not a very good feeling.

While the Loreal talk was on, I deliberately skipped it and had a conversation with a few other OGLs and they gave me their feedback on the team and that prompted me to take actions. I came to realise and convinced myself that the team's make-up is one that is lacking of a dominant leader and full of great followers. In a tool called the DISC (Dominance, Influence, Stability and Compliance) test, I presumed that my team lacks a 'D' character and my team is filled with 'S' and 'C'. In an ideal situation, there will always be a good mix of the 4 characteristics and in my team, I recognised that we are missing a 'D' amongst the 12 of them. So now what?

The OGLs, namely, Joel, Cheryl, Lily and Me had a discussion at the back of the LT that we shall kick in and behave like freshies leading the freshies and that will most probably help to lift up the situation and make the camp a more enjoyable one for the 'real' freshies. Hence, the OGL-led team came into play on the 2nd half of the 2nd day. =D

The results of an OGL-led team?? Hmm.. I'd say that it salvaged the situation and it made the team enjoy the camp more though it was taxing on my fellow OGLs. Thanks to Joel, Cheryl and Lily.

On the whole, VELA was a strong team but lacks a strong leader and in recognition of that, I think the OGLs deserves a pat on the back for making VELA so high and fun on day 3 and day 4. VELA was a team that warms up very slowly unlike O'VELA which is easily warmed up and performed. The only wish I have for VELA is to stay connected and stay strong as a team and if there is any problems in your uni or personal life, U have got 4 lovely OGLs to hear u out and help you. My take-away from this experience that I'd like to share is that everyone will be a leader in a way or another and to be successful in whatever you do in future will be to lead in a managerial or executive role. Everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses and every team is different. As a leader or even as a member of a team, you will have to observe how is the dynamics of the team and think about how can you contribute to team to make it stronger. Some members or leaders may not know their strength and weaknesses while others may know but do not know what to do with the knowledge of it.

As a saying goes 'knowledge is power', I'd beg to differ and say that 'useful knowledge is power'. Many of us know what are we good at and what are we 'not-so-good' at but we do not know what to do with this set of new found knowledge. Like in the teamVELA, some of them know that they are high 'S' and high 'C' but when in a team with no 'D', they did not realise that they can actually adapt to it and 'transform' themselves into a 'D' so as to make the team more well-balanced. Another example is when the team is full of 'Ds' and no 'Cs', those who are able to recognise this will have to be more of a 'C' so as to let only 1 or 2 'Ds' lead the team or there will be conflict of instructions and ideas. This is a critical skill that all of us will need to know so that we can value add to a team next time when we are working.

For those who are interested to know ur personal DISC test, do approach me. I can help you do a simple and easy one for u to know yourself better.

No comments: