Wednesday, 31 October 2007

Life of a Student Part 3

Do we plan too much and we are too afraid to venture and we fail to learn more?

I was talking to a Vietnamese peer of mine, Allan, and we were talking about SEP and he told me that he is going to apply to European countries for exchange instead of going to USA. I asked him why not USA and he told me that he went there last year on the work and travel scheme.

I was taken aback because he is on student loan and I remembered that he told me that he will take a super long time to repay his loan. If that's the case, how is he able to go to USA and with great plans to go for SEP while me and some of my peers are not even thinking that far when we are financially able to?

I am impressed that though he is not rich, he is travelling more than anyone of us who is staying in our comfort zone, doing what we do best and not venturing out. Are we planning too much about the future that we are not fully utilising what we can enjoy now? Perhaps it is a good takeaway from the foreign friend of mine that we should enjoy what we have now and not worry about the future. Perhaps I shall plan for a backpacking trip in December and not worry about money issues.

No comments: