Wednesday, 22 August 2007

Friendship

Something heavy for this entry..

A friend of mine was totally disappointed in one of our common 'friend' (or should I just call it a not-so-strange STRANGER). All because of the root of all evil, money.. I just don't understand how can someone actually look at money, car, condo, and all other materials in the world to be more important than something as simple as friendship.

Is it because of our society?
Is it because of our culture?
Or is it simply a norm that many of us have yet to be able to look through it?

I must say that money is important since we are living in a society that needs money for almost everything but it is very sad to see and to know that money became the ONLY thing..

Can money buy you friends? Can.. Those who will leave you when you have no money..
There were incidents where people who strike lotteries being more unhappy and not as satisfied with life as before because whoever that gets closer to him, he will assume that it was for his money. So he will end up being more wary of people around him and form a circle of protection to prevent himself from being 'robbed' of his money. Eventually? He ended up being unhappy and have lower social interaction with the society therefore increasing his probability of being suicidal. Sounds familar?

Can money buy you time? Can.. TV commercial time to air an AD for work purpose..
Why do we cry at funerals regretting that we did not spend enough time with that someone who is important in our life and when the funeral is over, we go back to our old 'programmed mode' and work like nobody's business then cry at the next funeral and regretting the same things again? Perhaps we are just a species that is very forgetful.. Perhaps..

There are many other things that money can't buy and yet we place money/ material needs over and above these priceless things. The very question to ask is 'Why?' and then evaluate on yourself to see if you are guilty of it too. If you are, you have two choices.. One is to do something about it, and the other is to continue to be guilty..

"Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything."
- Muhammad Ali

I feel that this quote is very meaningful and I'd like to share it with the rest of my friends. Friendship is not being able to meet each other everyday, call each other everyday or even think of each other everyday. Friendship is about a bonding.. It is about being there when needed and offering a listening ear whenever possible. Some people may view it as constant contact but I think it is very fake and it shows that without contact, the friendship won't last. If that is the case, then I must say that the bonding of the friendship is very very weak though it may appear to be strong with all the calling, meeting and what not.

I have a sworn brother whom I contact once in a blue moon and yet when crisis strikes him, I was one of those called to be by his side to be there with him which I did. It was just so amazing that since the day we left school, we contacted and met for less than 20 times over 6 years and yet when he needed help, I was the one who was called upon rather than those whom he is meeting everyday at work. Isn't it simply a sign that it is not constant contact that counts?

I have another person in my life who helped me and groomed me to who I am today whom I seldom meet and yet still closely bonded. He is non other than my NPCC teacher, 'cousin' cum a close friend Daniel Yong. We did not contact nor meet up often since I left NPCC and since he left Hai Sing and yet, whenever we meet up, we are still able to relate to each other very well. As he is very much older than me, he seldom confide in me but for me, when I am having problems in life, he is the 1st person who will come to my mind as I felt that he understands me the most.


I hope that most people will be able to look through the tangible stuffs and focus on things that are intangible. The priceless things are those that are intangible..

"When I find myself fading, I close my eyes and realize my friends are my energy."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friendship is really precious. When you are in the middle of nowhere, when you feel life is so harsh, when you really need a shoulder to cry, a hug, Simply you will find to your close friends. Earnest, with your warmness and sincerity, I am sure that you will have what so called "real friendship".
Classmate- Benny :D

Unknown said...

ur entry is very touching!
my close friends left the day before yesterday.. and we wouldnt be able to see each other for a year.. but out of sight does not mean out of mind, rite?

Nice entry
=)

Anonymous said...

hello ernest!
i take u as a good friend too! (:

Anonymous said...

It's true.. it's not always how much time u spend tgt, or how often u meet up. It's abt how u noe that when u nd them, they are just a ph call away, and when dey nd u, u just feel like rushg down to b w them.

Ur post made me think abt all the gr8 frens in My Life n how thankful I am to have them.

And u, Nanny, being one of them =)